- TOP NFT and blockchain games
TOP NFT and blockchain games
How the NFT games work
Cryptocurrency games based on NFT blockchain and DeFi are very different from simple wallet keeping of tokens. They allow using digital assets in their mechanics, carrying out a full cycle of interactions both between users and within the game. To make the application process possible, special smart contracts were developed – self-executable code snippets sitting in the blockchain itself.
The development of blockchain games brought up a Play-to-earn model that allowed players to earn coins for actions within the project, aside from exchange between players.
Play-to-Earn blockchain games
Blockchain games with a Play-to-Earn model allow users to earn tokens, coins, or NFTs, depending on the time spent playing the game. Simply put, the more you play, the more you can get. This type of profit is considered more stable, unlike previous options, where earnings depended only on receiving random NFTs.
Let’s study the Play-to-Earn model on one of the most popular blockchain games, Axie Infinity, as an example. To start playing, the user needs to purchase 3 game creatures - Axie and receive a free scholarship from another player. The three creatures make your team. Use it to complete tasks, pass tests, sell them, buy, grow, etc. These actions grant players Smooth Love Potion or SLP - an ERC-20 token that can be safely used on exchanges.
Also, SLPs are not just for sale, they can be invested in the growth of their Axies, which will later bring more and more coins. The average income of Axie Infinity users ranges from 200 to 1000 dollars per month or more, depending on the market value of the token and the amount of time spent in the game.
TOP blockchain games in 2021
Every year there are more and more blockchain games. Some are real scams, but others bring users big money and become full-time jobs. There are the projects we’re including at the top of the year past.
Axie Infinity is an Ethereum based fantasy blockchain game inspired by popular projects like CryptoKitties and Pokemon. The main currency is Axie Infinity Shard and Smooth Love Potion - ERC-20 tokens. Each of them has specific functions within the game ecosystem. AXS is a token for management, and SLP is for breeding and improving their collectible NFT pet Axie. Also, AXS is available as a BER-20 token on the BSC platform.
To start playing a user must assemble their team of 3 virtual Axies. Each of them has special characteristics, class, abilities, body parts, and so on, as usual in the genre, and is a collectible NFT object. Aside from the creatures, the game has such concepts as land and objects, both are ERC-721 tokens.
To farm the in-game currency users can choose from a variety of actions, such as:
- Completing PVE quests in the adventure mode. SLPs are rewarded for battles with virtual creatures
- Completing tasks
- PVP arena mode – battles with other users’ teams
- Breeding and selling of Axies
- Obtaining collectible NFT objects
- Land grab and more
Per day you can earn a particular number of SLP for completing various PVE and PVP tasks. Also, after a certain period, the best players receive additional digital assets as a reward.
SPL and AXS can be immediately sold at exchanges for real money or further invested to upgrade your team, purchase new items and accelerate the currency collecting.
The Sandbox game
The Sandbox Game is an online multiplayer game based on the Ethereum blockchain technology, containing both NFT (non-fungible tokens) and DeFi (decentralization of finance). Users are given a huge choice of actions, ranging from buying land to promoting entire projects.
There are 3 digital assets for the in-game activity:
- SAND – the main transaction currency. It’s based on the Ethereum blockchain of the ERC-20 standard.
- ASSETS – gamified objects created by the platform users with internal services. Each of these objects is a unique NFT of the ERC-1155 standard. Users receive the right to own and use their objects, which can later be sold or exchanged.
- LAND – special NFT token of ERC-721 standart. It represents a “land parcel” where users can place their digital objects and then upgrade them to a full-fledged player space. The land can be sold or rented out for in-game assets.
- To create and sell your digital assets, The Sandbox Game has a whole ecosystem consisting of several major services.
- VoxEdit – a service allowing a range of options to create and animate 3D models of various objects that will be placed on the user’s land. With it, you can create people, houses, casinos, cars, and everything you desire. Each of these objects becomes a unique NFT in ASSET tokens.
- Game Maker – a service allowing users to create whole 3D-animated playgrounds with unique rules. These objects can also be sold for digital assets. Any person can easily use the service as it doesn’t require any programming skills, but, to create large objects like a city or a park you may need a team or a whole studio.
- Marketplace – an in-game trading platform of the Sandbox project for digital asset operations. To start trading you need to upload all the objects to the interplanetary file system of IPFS.
There are no user limitations for activity within the game. Such projects are called sandboxes. The only limit is a player’s imagination, which is capable of recreating whole cities at a small pixel space.
Town Star – a 2019 blockchain-based game by Gala Games. The main user goal is to create a settlement, establish trading relations and manage the whole city. It is laid on principles of tycoon games. For in-game tasks, a player gets a currency that can later be traded for real money.
The entry barrier is minimal – just register and connect your crypto wallet by passing the verification. It’s Free-to-play, which means you need no funds to start. Although, to compete with other users on the same level you won’t be able to avoid paid options.
After registering a user gets to choose a location for their first settlement. Then a resource gathering starts that can be sold for in-game currency.
To profit from this game, users need to spend plenty of time in the game, as the process is cyclical, where players get GALA each week – in-game currency.
Also by purchasing NFTs in the form of digital objects users will get daily income. The pay is fixed so you can calculate its ROI. For example, if you purchase Ancient Bitrue What, in a year it will bring you 1000% of its initial cost if a currency market stays stable.
Alien Worlds is one of the most popular blockchain-based games published in 2021 by Dacoco. The player’s actions are motivated by the mining of in-game cryptocurrency Trillium (TLR) and NFT. The latter presented as various tools, avatars, guns, and so on, affecting the gameplay – speed of resource mining.
Alien Worlds is based on 3 blockchain technologies – Ethereum, Binance Smart Chain (BSC), and WAX. Each of them performs specific functions that ensure the game runs smoothly.
Binance Smart Chain is designed to improve the functioning of the main game currency Trillium, allowing you to easily carry out all transactions with it, including exchange and sale.
Ethereum ensures stable work of NFT cards, which plays an important role in resource farming, directly impacting their stats.
The WAX protocol is there to maintain game projects, in particular, controlling transaction flow. Thanks to low maintenance costs WAX has fairly low transaction fees compared to Ethereum.
The gameplay is focused on 6 main planets where players mine resources. One of them is chosen as a starting point that can be later changed. Each planet has its management of 5 other players – advisors.
They have the right to decide on politics and make their planet more desirable, e.g. lower the resource mining fee. Everyone can apply to become an advisor and then participate in user community voting.
As previously told, the main task is resource mining, Trillirium specifically. It can only be obtained via farming or purchase at exchanges. At the very start, a player does not have resources so mining should start immediately. You need NFT tools for that. At first, players only have a simple NFT shovel. With it, you can start farming, though it’ll take forever. To speed up the process, you can purchase another NFT card. The price varies from 0,03 to 40.000 US dollars, depending on its specs.
Besides mining there are other ways to make Tillirium:
- Mining itself – to do in-game mining, a player must merge several NFT cards and get a new one of a higher level. Then it can be sold or used for resource farming.
- Battles – aside from tools there are other NFT cards: avatars, guns, and minions. Once you have them, you can engage in battles with other players.
- Land possession – if a user owns an NFT card with a land parcel, other players must pay a fee for resource mining on their land. The fee is set by the landlord, so you have a full right to independently set the cost for visiting your lands.
- Planet investments – each planet, like a bank account, has its interest rate. If a user deposits their funds on the planet’s account, they start to grow according to the set rate.
Plants VS Undead
Plants VS Undead is an online multiplayer game based on blockchain technology in which the player must protect the main NFT tree from the oncoming waves of monsters. So far, only the farm mode is available, but further updates will not be long coming. Still, you can already earn money by playing the available mode. Profitability itself is built on growing and improving plants. For performing game actions, users receive Light Energy, which can be converted into a PVU token and withdrawn.
To start playing a user must purchase several PVU tokens and BNB to pay fees. Next, PVU must be converted into LE, which is used for in-game transactions. With received currency, you can purchase seeds, water the plants, buy tools, etc.
To make money, a player must plant and grow several plants. Let’s look at the real numbers: a sunflower seedling costs LE 100 (1 PVU), in three days it brings LE 250 (2.5 PVU), and a sunflower mother seedling for LE 200 (2 PVU) will bring you LE 850 (8.5 PVU) in 6 days.
Also, you can participate in a game with Sun Box and get random nice bonuses, such as scarecrows, water, flower pots, seedlings, and seeds
Another way to make money – visiting other players’ farms. Depending on the amount of the user's water, there is a certain chance to get sunflower seeds that will bring an additional income.
Waves Bucks is another ambitious NFT game, where users can become duck farm owners and each duck is a unique non-fungible NFT token. The project was launched in 2021, and in April one of the ducks was sold for a million dollars.
The main in-game currency is EGG. To start playing, a user must purchase several ducks and begin growing and breeding them. At the very beginning, a player has no EGGs, so they must be acquired somehow. This can be done either by purchasing the currency or winning it in developers’ competition, that’s not happening too often.
There are several ways to make money: breeding and selling ducks, creating a farm for a passive income, breeding, and selling unique NFT ducks.
Ducks can be purchased in two ways. First – purchase an egg that will become a random NFT with random characteristics. Second – purchase a duck at an auction.
You can breed ducks. Two birds are required for it. If both are of the same rank, you will get a level up. If you use two very different ducks, there is a chance of getting a highly valuable unique duck.
To start your farm, besides ducks, you need to purchase a roost that costs 1 EGG. With a roost, each duck starts to bring in passive income in EGG that depends on its characteristics. This should be done immediately after you get your first duck.
Also, the developers offer an affiliate program to make money. You will get 5% of each EGG spent by a user you have invited.
The project is quite ambitious and becomes more and more popular in the cryptocurrency community.
Farmers World is another one in the genre of NFT games, a farming simulator.
To make money a player must do certain actions to upgrade their farm and expand its territory. This can be achieved by mining resources and NFTs in various areas: mining, raising livestock, building, growing plants, and fighting monsters.
The profit here depends on investments and re-investments. You just need to click several buttons per hour to restart game mechanics. It works like this:
- You purchase a tool to mine resources.
- Sell gained resources for currency. Plain and simple.
The approximate payback period is 30-50 days if the token price is stable. Then it’s only net profit.
Also, during the waiting time, users can visit other players’ farms and challenge them.
Pros and cons of blockchain games
Like any other business area, NFT and blockchain games have certain pros and cons, that every player must consider deciding – spend time on new projects or something else.
- Earning opportunity. One of the biggest advantages of blockchain and NFT games is an opportunity to make money by spending time in the game. Some users make token farming their main source of income, investing large amounts and spending several hours a day. In some cases, it pays back quickly and comes back as net profit, but beforehand you should carefully investigate the topic before rushing to spend hundreds of thousands in the first game to come around.
- Free-to-play projects. As was said before, blockchain projects are requiring no investments or just a couple of bucks. Yes, without them the token farming is somewhat slow, but this does not deny the fact that you spent nothing, to begin with.
- Playing on your smartphone. Some blockchain games are available on Android and iOS, which measure users can play and earn from anywhere with internet access.
- Engaging gameplay. Unlike boring, routine jobs, blockchain games offer to earn money for completing interesting game tasks, such as mining resources, managing a city, breeding pets, and much more.
- Risks. It’s important to understand that a cryptocurrency is an unstable unit and your income is directly dependent on the current exchange rate. Unfortunately, there are moments when your investments won’t payback and a user must be prepared for such difficulties.
- Low awareness level. Crypto Gaming has just started to grow on the internet, so we can’t get all the necessary information. New projects are being released every year and the best way to earn is to start at the very launch. Although, such an approach means you’ll be playing in the dark and there’s a chance to lose investments if the game fails or you choose non-profitable tasks to complete.
- Dependence on investments. As stated before, free projects are requiring no investments at all. But this affects the competitive ability of the player, especially in PVP games. Also, if you’re not investing additional funds in the game, the farming process can take too long. This is the source of stories about players spending a month of their life just to get $10.
- No guarantees. No one can guarantee that you get a profit from playing a blockchain game. As this movement grows, more and more projects appear, with some of them being real scams. Dishonest developers cash in on trusting users, offering mint of money, and then riding off into the sunset.
Prospects of blockchain and NFT games
Unfortunately, no one can say for sure that the crypto gaming industry will grow and thrive for many years to come. Projects have their pros and cons. Moreover, keep in mind how unstable the cryptocurrencies and demands of society are.
Still, we can look at the facts on hand and based on them draw our conclusions about the future of blockchain and NFT games. We will rest on the report in Q3 2021.
- 49% of all registered UAW wallets (1.54 million) interacted with crypto games.
- Gaming NFTs accounted for over 22% of total sales during Q3, which is over $2.3 billion.
- Axie Infinity Ranked as the Best Selling NFT Collection with Over $2.5 Billion in Sales
- The growth of the turnover of other blockchain games was more than 21%, which is equal to 56.4 million US dollars.
- In 30 days Arc8 attracted over 370,000 new UAW users.
- The WAX protocol was registered by over 350,000 wallets.
- Blockchains, used by the most NFT games to be released, have increased by about 15-20%.
- Axie Infinity made 83% of its all-time high of $2.08 billion in Q3 trading volume.
- Axie Infinity has surpassed 2 million daily active users worldwide.
- BSC attracted over 608,000 new UAW wallets, of which 168,000 (28%) interacted with NFT games, up 17% from last quarter.
All the facts from above show positive dynamics that prove the growth and popularity of NFT and blockchain games. Based on these data, we can say with confidence that this area will be growing even more in the next couple of years. For this year, 2022, many big projects have announced release dates, which were developed by truly big-name developers.
Also, more and more often the news emerges that big developers of PC and console games are interested in integrating NFT into their projects or issuing unique tokens based on their universes. For example, the largest French studio Ubisoft, known for such huge projects as Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry, has already released its own NFT game Rabbits Token, based on Ethereum of the ERC-721 standard.
Based on these facts we can conclude that the NFT and blockchain games industry will be relevant and growing over the next few years. More and more new projects will appear and their quality will only be rising. Who knows, maybe someday crypto gaming will be our usual gaming. For now, integrating observe and inform you.